Tuesday, June 5, 2012

craftastic

I'm sure you are scratching you head, thinking, "But Miles doesn't do crafts..."

That's right, folks. This blog is taking a detour from the 24-7 Miles Show. Hold onto your hats.

Ages and ages ago, when I first got hooked on Pinterest, I pinned this idea, via http://rachelmahan.tumblr.com/.




Unfortunately, I couldn't find the original post, or any instructions, so I had to make it up as I went.

First, I dug out some vases from our wedding, and an assortment of rubber bands in various widths.



Then I roughed up the surface with sandpaper, though I'm not sure that was really necessary, and taped the inside of the glass so the paint would stay on the outside. The last step was to randomly stretch the rubber bands around the glass, which was harder than it sounds. Now we're ready to spray paint!



Our backyard is a bit windy, so it took 4 or 5 light coats to get good coverage.



The end result isn't as nice as the inspiration. I thought the black paint would be dramatic, but I think it's just too dark. I also thought using rubber bands in different widths would be interesting, but in hindsight, I think the original idea was better. And next time I'll use fewer rubber bands.



Stay tuned for more fun crafts!

No comments: